With thousands of new COVID cases in Hong Kong everyday, everyone is advised to stay home and away from public areas as much as they can. Doing so decades ago would have been difficult to imagine, but thanks to the rise of e-commerce, these days you can easily meet most, if not all, of your shopping needs without stepping a single foot outside the comfort of your own home.
To help you weather these difficult times, we have compiled a list of e-commerce platforms that you can shop or book from, so that you can keep outside travel to a bare minimum. If you do have to get out for a change of pace however, our luxury hotel recommendations can bring you some of the best and safest staycation experiences while making you feel right at home.
Do not forget that these online stores, hotels, and restaurants all offer credit card deals as well. Be sure to click into each merchant name to see their deals profile for specific terms and requirements.
Masks and Sanitary Items
First of all, stock up on cleaning alcohol, hand sanitizers and masks if you haven’t already. They are your best lines of defense against infection. Make sure you aren’t habitually reusing disposable facemasks as much as it may be tempting to save it for next time because you only went out once. Reusing facemasks runs the risk of spreading potential contaminants from the mask surface, but if you do have to, take extra care to spray it with cleaning alcohol and store your mask safely in a sanitized container.
- Products: Health necessities, masks, testing kits
- Delivery: Upon spending HK$500
- Best deal: 10% off upon spending HK$1,000 for HSBC and Hang Seng cards
- Products: Stylish and medical face masks, health necessities, various lifestyle products
- Delivery: Free upon spending HK$350 for VIP, or upon purchase of 2 boxes of MF Masks
- Best deal: 5% off upon spending HK$800 at their online store for HSBC cards
- Products: Health food, equipment, necessities, and services
- Delivery: Free upon spending HK$500
- Best deal: 10% off regular-priced items for select HSBC cards
- Products: Healthcare, skincare, medicine, eyecare, beauty products
- Delivery: Free upon spending HK$500 for regular members
- Best deal: 5% rebate for select Bank of East Asia cards
Now may be a good time to stock up on food to minimize frequent trips, but instead of taking a leap of faith at the supermarket (and risk breaking your back in the process), why not have groceries conveniently delivered straight to your door? At the very least, we consider not having to queue in person well worth the try. Check out our post dedicated to online groceries for details, but here’s a couple of options.
- Products: Imported frozen meats, seafood, organic poultry and vegetables
- Delivery: Free upon spending HK$700 (Suspended until March 7th)
- Best deal: 5% off regular priced items for AMEX cards
- Products: Dish-oriented ingredients packages, fresh meats and vegetables, impossible meat
- Delivery: Upon spending HK$1,000
- Best deal: 10% off for HSBC, Hang Seng, Dah Sing cards
Whenever possible we always like to try out new restaurants in person, soak in their unique experiences, perhaps let owners know we had a good time. But in these troubled times, ordering via Deliveroo and foodpanda can grant restaurants the invaluable exposure they otherwise would not have enjoyed under tightening restrictions. Best of all? You don’t have to set foot outside your door.
Pro-Tip: Try to avoid foods that could lose significant quality during the delivery process, such as burger buns or fries that could get soggy from prolonged steaming. That is, unless you have reliable re-heating methods such as a toaster oven.
- Delivery: Absolutely
- Best deal: 5% rebate for Bank of East Asia cards
Gadgets and Electronics
Technology has come a long way in helping us stay productive no matter where we are. Now that work-from-home is a reality for many, having the right home-office equipment is more important than ever. The Logitech k380 keyboard and MX Master 2 mouse as shown above are specifically designed for multitasking, allowing seamless swapping between 3 different bluetooth connections at the press of a button. Powerful air purifiers can ensure our work environment remains free from allergens, and quality speakers give us the ability to kick back to some tunes when the work is done.
Regardless of what you may need, the abundance of video and blog reviews for all kinds of products out there means it is easy to make informed purchase decisions and have your goods delivered straight to you, all without leaving your computer or phone. Major brands such as Apple and Samsung all offer convenient delivery, but there are local or boutique stores with more diverse product choices, all offering online credit card payment and free delivery options.
- Products: Mobile electronics, home appliances
- Delivery: Free upon spending HK$800
- Best deal: HK$100% off upon spending HK$2000 on single item with HSBC, Hang Seng, Standard Chartered cards
- Products: Mobile electronics, home appliances, lifestyle products
- Delivery: Free upon spending HK$700
- Best deal: 5% off designated items with HSBC and Hang Seng cards
If you absolutely cannot stand being cooped up at home, staycations at quality hotels would be the safest bet for a quick and comfortable getaway. Each of these hotels offer a myriad of services that will make you feel right at home. With the right credit cards, you may even be able to snag some lucrative deals.
The best part about the hotels we mentioned? The myriad of dining options right downstairs from the comfort of your hotel room. Each of these restaurants live up to the quality of the hotels that they’re in, ideal for a romantic meal for two.
- What’s special: 5-star Design hotel on top of Pacific Place with harbor view
- Best deal: 10% off on best available rate for AMEX cards
- What’s special: 5-star hotel with rich heritage, directly facing victoria harbor from kowloon side
- Best deal: Complementary best rate and upgrade to higher room category for AMEX Platinum and Gold cards
Thanks to modern conveniences, it is entirely possible to stay well-fed, well-supplied and productive within the comfort of your own home. It is also important to plan occasional weekend getaways and spice things up for a chance of pace! But most importantly, eat well, stay protected, and stay safe.